Terres des hommes (Tdh) Hellas is looking for a Communications and Advocacy Officer to join our dynamic team working on protecting and safeguarding children's rights. Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, the role will be responsible to provide guidance, design and implement the Communication and Advocacy interventions by Tdh Hellas in the country. S/he is responsible for promoting Tdh Hellas objectives and find opportunities to increase the visibility of Tdh Hellas’ work. S/he is responsible to create effective advocacy plans/messages and communications materials and to build a strong network of partners, donors and key influencers in order to achieve the objectives of the current and future Country Strategy.
Terre des hommes Foundation, a member of the International Federation Terre des hommes, is the largest international child rights NGO in Switzerland established over 60 years ago. We operate in over 35 countries with over 100 projects of development aid and emergency impacting over 3 million beneficiaries annually. In Europe our direct assistance projects, strengthening systems and advocacy activities are primarily focused in the areas of access to justice and migration. Terre des hommes has seven offices established in Europe (Albania, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Moldova, Romania, and Ukraine) and is also engaged in projects with partners from other European countries and beyond.
Terre des hommes Hellas has been operating in Greece since 2016 with expert programming on children on the move (migration), child friendly justice and crosscutting child protection and safeguarding through direct assistance, strengthening child protection systems, providing capacity building to professionals and working directly with children and youth to build their resilience and claim their rights.
The Communications and Advocacy Officer is a key role in Tdh Hellas, working in a crosscutting way to support the programme teams, deliver the organisation's messaging and strengthen our visibility.
- Responsible for the development of communication and advocacy strategies in collaboration with the Country and Deputy Country Director.
- Contribute to the design of projects with advocacy and communication components and take the lead in implementing advocacy and communications activities as outlined in project descriptions.
- Monitors media outlets in Greece and regularly consult with other Tdh programme team members to stay up to date with current issues which feed into advocacy campaigns and communications materials.
- Collaborates with Tdh Lausanne, the Tdh Regional Office and other Tdh Delegations in Europe to promote projects which are implemented in Greece.
- Develop and maintain active working relationships with advocacy and communications colleagues in Tdh partner organizations and other NGOs and explore formal or semi-formal partnership opportunities in specific programmatic areas as identified in the country strategy.
- Contributes to the country strategy regarding advocacy and communication and to drafting project proposals as per advice of Country Director and Deputy Country Director
- Represents the organisation in the media and advocacy events as a spokesperson under the guidance of the Deputy Country Director
- Provides technical guidance to key staff in communication including advising and providing other Tdh Hellas spokespersons with talking lines for external communication (media).
- Liaises with programme staff on new projects to identify communication needs and develop effective project communication materials, lead their drafting and delivery and ensures all information material are up to date.
- Collaborates with Tdh Federation in Brussels and Tdh in the region on Tdh Hellas led communication activities.
- Responsible for managing the Tdh Hellas social media accounts and website and for creating its content.
- Under the guidance of the Country Director and the Deputy Country Director and in direct collaboration with the Project Managers, s/he is responsible to utilize advocacy opportunities optimally in order to build high level visibility and strengthen Tdh operations.
- In collaboration with the Project Managers, ensures effective communication between all stakeholders and to uphold Tdh Hellas’ advocacy objectives at all times.
- Advise and support the Country Director and Programme Coordinator the Deputy Director and Project Managers in the development of advocacy proposals and strategic activities to ensure that these meet the requirements of high-level stakeholders, decision making bodies and promote further cooperation, engagement and coordination with partners.
- Represents Tdh in the national Advocacy Working Group and other important working groups and meetings and coordinate Tdh participation and contribution.
- Build a network amongst governmental bodies and other stakeholders which play a crucial role for the implementation of the country strategy and activities.
-Studies or demonstrated theoretical knowledge in media and communications, social sciences, political science, or similar field. A Masters qualification would be an advantage
- At least 4 years of professional experience in media and communication and/or advocacy, with a highlight in strategic communications and visibility
- Proven experience in successfully coordinating communications and increasing visibility in an NGO or other company
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and writing,
- Demonstrated portfolio of communication materials and designs
- Experience in project development
- Experience in managing social media and being a spokesperson in media.
- Demonstrable experience in developing partnerships, fostering networks and positive working relationships externally
- Excellent team worker with a positive attitude to work in a collaborative environment
- Understands topics surrounding children and the media
- Experience in providing trainings on advocacy or communications is a plus
- Excellent oral and written skills in Greek and high level of English required
- Excellent skills on writing reports, developing content, developing and clearly articulating strategic messages
IT and Software skills:
- Fully conversant with usual IT tools
- Excellent knowledge of at least one digital Design Tool, Canva to be preferred
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their CV and motivation in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Communication & Advocacy Officer, your name and surname” in the subject line of the application email.
Child Safeguarding Policy:
To commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
By sending your application, you agree that your personal data will be used in the recruitment process. All the documents we will request in different steps of the recruitment process will only be used for this purpose.
All staff involved in recruitment and selection are aware that data protection rules apply, and that personal information will be treated confidentially. According to our policy, we will keep your application documents for the period of the recruitment only.